|Located in Western New York, State University of New York College at Brockport is a nationally recognized and accredited public institution with competitive state health insurance and retirement plan options. SUNY Brockport also includes Brockport Downtown and sponsors the Rochester Educational Opportunity Center (REOC), both located in Rochester, NY. We are an inclusive employee-oriented university. Be yourself and start your career here. Help us build a better Brockport!
Maintenance Assistants (Plumber and Steamfitter) perform semiskilled work in the installation, alteration and repair of pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, ventilating, heating control, and water and drainage systems.
- Repairs and maintains piping systems by replacing defective pipe by cutting, bending, threading and assembling pipe, and by soldering and caulking leaks and broken pipes
- Opens clogged drains with plumber’s snake or vacuum plunger
- Replaces worn washers or other parts in leaky valves or taps
- Cuts passage holes in walls and floors through which pipe is to pass
- Covers steam lines with thermal insulation
- Following specifications, repairs and regulates water mixers, thermostats and other fixtures, and repairs steam equipment such as steam tables, dishwashing machines, steam kettles, and laundry equipment
- Install pipes, fittings, and fixtures with layout and materials provided by the supervisor
- Advises supervisor when repair or assistance is needed
- Reviews the work order system daily and provides appropriate feedback
- Performs routine and emergency tasks involving scheduled/unscheduled overtime
- Assists in the performance of asbestos removal projects to facilitate repairs
- Handles various types of hazardous materials such as: asbestos, refrigerants, gas, fuel oil, solvents, and more
- Works in confined space situations
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to work holidays, scheduled/unscheduled overtime, shift work and college special events
- Ability to work on different concurrent projects as needed
- Obtain Asbestos Supervisor Certification within six (6) months of hire
- Obtain Certified Pool Operator
- Obtain NYS RPZ license
- Must possess a valid New York State Driver License, Class D or above (other than a motorcycle license), that will be verified through the NY State Department of Motor Vehicles
- Must have working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment of the Plumber and Steamfitter trade
- Demonstrated ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions including ability to read and understand diagrams, plans and specifications
- Ability to climb, stoop and perform moderately heavy lifting
- Demonstrated ability to reliably work independently
- Good interpersonal skills
- Possession of a High School Diploma or equivalent
Non-competitive: Two years of full-time experience in plumbing and/or steamfitting work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two year technical school course in the plumbing and/or steamfitting trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program*; or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses in plumbing or steamfitting at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services..
*Successful completion of the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. It does not include 4,000 hours of on-the-job training, as required for the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship.
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
• Technical training/education in related skills
• Skilled in one or more trades
• Demonstrates computer literacy
• Willingness to learn new skills
• Familiarity with on campus utilities systems and locations
||40 hrs/week Monday - Friday, 7am to 3:30pm
|Salary and Benefits:
||$37,507 May be benefits eligible; more information at Careers@Brockport. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
||Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (one being a current supervisor) at jobs.brockport.edu by October 30, 2021.
|Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
|New York State Executive Order:
|Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at email@example.com.
|Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Diversity Statement:
|We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
|SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.